Tuesday, January 22, 2008

housewife dovetail-style


Hahahahahahaha!!! Guess what I found. M has this old cooking book "The settlement cook book" (with the subtitle: The way to a man's heart), first printed in 1901, but this one has been re-edited 1960, so it's been modernized, it says on the cover. And in the book you can find not only recipes, but also amazing tips of how to be a good housewife, made for newly wedded wife or up to expert level housekeeper. So, since my new life is a bit on the upside down-side for the moment and I'm a bit of an unwillingly housewife, I thought it could be some good ideas in the book for me. And listen to this:

Housekeeping guide
Make a schedule of essential housekeeping tasks, and use this as a guide to jobs to do every day, once a week, at the major change-over time in the spring and fall. Clean regularly; dirt and stains are easier to remove when fresh. First, list your daily chores, general tidying, bed-making, top-dusting, sweeping and vacuuming, care of the bathroom and kitchen, meal preparation and dishwashing.
Make a second list of chores done on special days of the week: ideally, each room should be done thoroughly once a week, with work divided equally among the working days you allot to housekeeping. (...) Learn to dovetail jobs (kedjearbeta), so that two can be going at once. Let the washer run by itself while you do surface cleaning. Dovetail your own time and motions, too.


I love it! I learned so much by reading this and are now doing everything according to the book. At this very moment I'm dovetailing hard by being lazy in my bed while writing this super important information to you all - AND drinking coffee at the same time! Like if this wouldn't be enough I have also the privilege of watching my dear husband dovetailing in the kitchen, cleaning the stove and the dishes (all according to the great book) while cooking a big ham old grandma-style! And around this we have wrapped amazing jazz music into our ears, so that we can let dreams wander freely at the same time as this heavy work is being done.
Thank you "The settlement Cookbook", for all the inspiration you have given us. Now I'm gonna move over to implement dovetailing on my very body movements.

No comments: