Thursday, October 16, 2008

Obaaaamaaaaa

I wanna quote a great thing said by an 60-something year old Florida former Republican voter, who now will vote for Obama. This is what she wrote on a New York Time's debateforum after the third debate between Obama/McCain:

"I am an independent who has voted Republican. I’m a pollster’s dream. I’m 60-year-old white woman in Tampa, Florida. I was a HIllary supporter.

I am going wtih Obama. I had decided this before the debate, but his performance tonight solidified my choice. I think that he demonstrated that he’s thoughtful, and can see shades of gray in the issues. These are the qualties that I want in a president.

McCain was kind of angry, that like Palin, he relied on talking points. He seemed hopelessly out of touch on the issues. I could not believe the school vouchers answer. His attacks felt sort of desperate and weirdly rehearsed; they often felt out-of-context.

The Joe the Plumber thing was comical. My younger brother is a plumber and he makes more than $100k a year. If the guy was going to make more money by buying the business, then he should pay more in taxes. I don’t think McCain’s argument here made much sense.

I own a small business. Yes, if you file as a sole proprietor, you could have income of more than $250k. But I also get a lot of tax breaks for my business — and would have more under Obama’s plan.

What McCain is glossing over is that if your business income gets that high, it frequently makes more sense for you to pay yourself a salary and file a separate return as a business/corporation. That’s why so few would be affected under Obama’s plan. (It’s something like 3%)

McCain looked angry, made snarky comments and said things that I know are simply not true. Obama needed to show that he’s steady and trustworthy, and I think that he did that.

What really struck me, particularly after sleeping on it, was that Obama would explain a point, often correcting McCain, who would then go on and make the same false statement again. I found this disturbing. My dad did that when he had early Alzheimer’s.

I thought that Obama’s comments on abortion were well thought out, too. I haven’t seen this issue discussed in a national forum.

I agree that Obama missed some opportunities. But I can understand why he played it a bit safe.

I don’t think that Obama needed to harsh on Palin. Watching McCain defend her was enough. Biden - great foreign policy experience. McCain said Palin was “refreshing” twice. What is she, an air freshener? Polls show that 35% of Americans think she is qualified to be president, and that number keeps going down.

Three weeks ago, I was on the fence. McCain’s “suspension” of his campaign woke me up. His negative campaign truly put me off. His people have called me saying he’s a Muslim and a terrorist. I’m not stupid, for crying out loud!

After the debate, I can’t wait to cast my vote for Obama!!
-Florida voter"

No comments: